2013 September Preview
Hello, and welcome to September. If there was one thing our parents were right about, it is how fast time flies the older you get. But let’s not fuss with age … We may not feel it quite yet, but those fall comforts are right around the corner.
Soon, it’ll be all boots and pumpkin beers, football and apple cider donuts, scarves and holiday shopping. Perhaps it’s that change-of-seasons excitement that makes September such a popular month for festivals and events. As is tradition, we’ve shared these for you each year.
Bookmark this, mark up your calendar and grab your friends for a fun-filled 30 days.
- As always, the festival season kicks off with Kipona, the annual street fair celebrating the Susquehanna River. Technically, it began in August, but runs Sept. 1-2 as well. Tonight: Fireworks.
- Sept. 6-8, Carlisle Events presents The Carlisle Sports and Outdoors Nationals, a new, non-car-related event geared towards outdoors enthusiasts.
- The York Fair runs from Sept. 6-15 — including a country-heavy concert lineup.
- There’s just a few days left to snag the last tickets to the SaraBozich.com After Dark Booze Cruise on Sept. 7.
- The Lancaster Craft Beerfest is Sept. 7.
- York craft brewer Liquid Hero is hosting a Homebrew Fest on Sept. 7.
- The Gettysburg Wine & Music Festival and the Dauphin Country Jazz & Wine Festival both run Sept. 7-8.
- BYO Boobies & Beer is a fundraiser held at Smoke BBQ on Sept. 8. Benefits American Cancer Society’s Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk.
- Sept. 8 also is the 25th annual Gallery Walk, put together by the Art Association of Harrisburg and featuring artists and galleries around the city.
- Harrisburg’s 2013 Restaurant Week is actually two! Taste your way around the city from Sept. 9-13 and 16-20.
- America’s Largest RV Show lands in Hershey Sept. 11-15.
- It’s also The Hotel Hershey Wine & Food Festival, running Sept. 13-15, so beware for that snarling Hershey traffic.
- Sept. 13 marks the 1st Annual Etown Wine Walk.
- On Sept. 14, Appalachian Brewing Co. hosts its annual 16th Capital City Invitational Beer Fest – in two sessions, which also kicks off Oktoberfest at the brewpub.
- The Vineyard & Brewing at Hershey present their now-famous Merlot and Flash Gourd’n (pumpkin beer) Release Party on Sept. 14. This is a big’un, folks.
- Sept. 14 also is the 32nd annual Hummelstown Arts Festival, on Main Street near the Square.
- Dauphin County Fitness Fest will take place Sept. 14 at Fort Hunter Park, rescheduled from the spring.
- Hone your entrepreneurial ambitions with Startup Weekend Harrisburg Sept. 13-15 at Harrisburg University.
- On Sunday, Sept. 15, The Vineyard at Grandview hosts the Grandview Bluegrass Festival. It’s also Fort Hunter Day.
- The 2nd annual Newberrytown Wine, Chili & Blues Festival is Sept. 21.
- On Sept. 22, take in nature with the Celebrate Wildwood! festival.
- It’s not too early for this fall favorite: The New Cumberland Apple Festival is Sept. 28.
- Woofstock, the celebration of all things dogs — and benefiting the Central PA Animal Alliance — is Sept. 29 in Riverfront Park.
- Check out the FREE SaraBozich.com Happy Hour at Dodge City Steakhouse on Sept. 25.
- Stoudt’s annual Oktoberfest celebration kick-off weekend is Sept. 28-29.
- Hershey Restaurant Week is not forgotten — it’s just a little later in the month than it used to be. Explore Hershey Entertainment & Resort restaurants Sept. 29-Oct. 5.