Taking time off is weird, but no weirder than these mid-week holidays, I suppose.
We extended our Christmas with a visit to my in-laws in Elk County, where we had the world’s longest dinner, stayed out at the bar later than we ever do here, slept in, then ate piles of French toast and bacon and watched our nieces run around with all of their new gifts, made fudge, played Monopoly (video game version, extra lame) and today, we’ll take our dog for a long hike in the woods, weather permitting.
Tip: St. Marys, Pa. has, like, four bars. The best by far is Gunners, and it has a surprisingly decent beer list. Everyone is drinking the home beer, Straub, or something terrible like Busch Light, so you can grab something from their bottle list, which featured “The Mad Elf Ale,” Southern Tier, Bourbon County, St. Bernardus & more.
Your extra hot tip? They have local craft on tap from North Country Brewing Co., (Slippery Rock). Featured this season is the Buck Snort Stout, which frankly was quite good – nice and dry. And only $3.
- Make your own New Year’s Day Pork & Sauerkraut.
- Irrelevant now, but keep in mind for next year, these are the bars open on Christmas Eve & Day.
- Merry Christmas, Baby – a wrap-up of holiday posts and some fun extras.
- It was quiet, but we didn’t miss the Weekend Roundup (click for stuff to do today!).
- Adults only: Finding nightlife in Hershey-Harrisburg
- Watch the What’s on Tap with Sara web series (& “Like” it on Facebook) – New episode to launch Jan. 1!
Other stuff you can do while waiting for 2014:
- Follow me on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram.
- Sign-up for the Events newsletter so you get info on our Happy Hours and Booze Cruises first (and often, special savings on tickets).
- Check out the FAQs. Have another question? Ask away. I’ll be updating everything in the new year.
What else we’re reading: