5 Podcasts You Should Be Listening To

by: Kelly Leighton
March 22, 2017

Hey, it’s 2017, and I am way late to the podcast game.

But I am making up for lost time because I am so into podcasts lately. Whether I am running, walking the dog, or just hanging out at home, I have a podcast on. I have a hard time watching television because I have to devote so much attention to it, but I love podcasts because I can multitask!

Let me know if you have any recommendations, as I am plowing through them way too quickly. Miles (my dog) is certainly appreciating the longer walks. Here are my latest favorites.

Running Podcasts

The Ali on the Run Show

I really enjoy Ali’s blog, so I was excited when I learned she had started a podcast. In each episode, she interviews an athlete, and the friendly conversation makes it easy to feel as if you are a part of it. My favorite episodes thus far are Emily Halnon (because I like her blog as well; I read a lot of blogs.), John Honerkamp and Chris Heuisler. But I’ve really enjoyed them all, and I look forward to each Thursday when a new episode lands on my phone.

RunnersConnect Podcast

OK, I also enjoy Tina Muir’s blog, and thus, I really like her podcast. Even though she is an elite athlete, she is somehow still relatable, and I appreciate her honesty about her struggles. The podcast is also very informative, and they have a daily, short update where coaches answer readers’ questions.

Non-Running Podcasts

The Black Tapes

I should preface and say that I grew up completely obsessed with Unsolved Mysteries, and my love of the unknown and creepy has not wavered. This podcast is a fictional account of a journalist, Alex, and her quest to figure out the mysterious paranormal investigator Dr. Strand and his unsolved “black tapes.” I binge-listened to it, and slightly regret it as I sit impatiently waiting for season 3, but I’d have to say this is my favorite podcast.

In the Dark

In 1989, Jacob Wetterling, an 11-year-old in Minnesota, was kidnapped. The case took nearly 27 years to solve, and investigative reporter Madeleine Baran set out to find how this case was so unsolvable. It was weird to listen to the podcast knowing how it would end for Jacob, but it somehow held my attention. My only complaint is that Baran could be a little too self-congratulatory. They just announced they are preparing for season 2, so I am curious to see if they can keep up with the momentum.

Missing Richard Simmons

I never in a million years thought I would like this podcast, but a friend suggested I check it out, so I downloaded it and was immediately hooked. Basically, the well-known and extroverted exercise celebrity has not been seen since 2014, and Dan Taberski, who knew Simmons via his exercise class, seeks to find out why. It has been fascinating thus far, but I do feel moderately guilty because it is just so invasive. Maybe Simmons just wants to hang out at home. But, on the other hand, I, along with millions of others, are curious as to why.

What podcasts do you love? Share in the comments!

Categories: Bloggers, Running

Tags:

13 thoughts on “5 Podcasts You Should Be Listening To

1. Angela Britcher on said:

I can’t walk without a podcast in my ears! Right now, it’s Splendid Table, Bite and Politico’s Nerdcast.

• Kelly on said:

I feel like a crazy person because I take headphones with me everywhere now, and I sometimes walk around the house with them on, listening to podcasts! Thanks so much for the recommendations, I will definitely check them out!

2. S hoffman on said:

Crime town!! They interview wise guys from the 70’s and 80’s and cover organized crime in Providence Rhode Island. Well produced and some great stories and chatacters.

• Kelly on said:

That sounds awesome! Thanks for the recommendation, I will check it out!

3. Tina Muir on said:

Thank you so much for featuring Run to the Top! Ironically, today was my last episode with them, but I hope you will consider listening to my new podcast (Running for Real) once I launch it in a few weeks. Truly such an honor, and thank you for the kind words. If I can help with anything, please let me know 🙂

• Kelly on said:

I am really looking forward to Running for Real, and I just joined your FB group this week. Can’t wait for more!

• Brad Garfinkel on said:

Tina – I have also been a long time fan of the podcast and look forward to your new show!

4. Jeff Marsico on said:

This Month in Banking. Ok, that was self-serving because it’s my company’s. But if you’re in to banking…

Freakonomics. Looks at behavior from an economics perspective. Based on the book of the same name.

Stuff You Missed In History Class. Explores off-beat historical events. Today I learned about Lady Jane Grey, who was queen of England for nine days. Who knew?

• Kelly on said:

Ha! I don’t know if the banking one would be up my alley… I heard Freakonomics is pretty good, but I haven’t heard of Stuff You Missed in History Class- thanks for the recommendation!

5. Kerri Conway on said:

Sword and Scale for some crazy, sick, twisted and 100% TRUE crime stories! 85 episodes and I can’t wait for the next one!

• Kelly on said:

That definitely sounds like something I’d like- thanks for recommending!
      I also just started listening to Stranglers, about the Boston Strangler, it’s been good thus far!

6. Brad Garfinkel on said:

Other great running podcasts

Run Run Live – Chris Russell makes this part running, part leadership skills training, part inspirational message. Great interviews of interesting people doing extraordinary things.

Runners World Podcast hosted by Editor David Wiley

Human Race – also part of the Runners World family of podcasts

• Kelly on said:

Thanks for the recommendations, Brad!

Join Our Mailing List