Where to Find Rarer Beers During #HbgBeerWeek
We’re just one week away from Harrisburg Beer Week 2017, and I hope you’re as excited as I am.
Throughout our more than 200 events this year you’ll find many different types of events — a little something for everyone. We focus on our local craft beer scene, but if you do a little digging you’ll find some hidden gems from both local and outside breweries offering some rarer beers. Possibly even whalez.
And while the events aren’t a secret, you may overlook them in the sea of options. If you’re a bottle hunter/gatherer/trader, there are so many unique opportunities to add to your collection this year.
Wegman’s Beer Releases
Alongside Wegman’s food and beer pairings each day you’ll find a corresponding bottle release nearly each day. These bottles are in extremely limited quantities, so if something piques your interest don’t wait to get go them. Here are your daily release options:
- Friday 4/21: Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout 16.9 oz bottles (1 bottle/person)
- Saturday 4/22: Deschutes Abyss, Abyss Scotch Barrel-aged, Abyss Brandy Barrel-aged, Black Butte XXVIII, Jubel 2015
- Sunday 4/23: Sam Adams Barrel Room Collection – Thirteenth Hour, New World Tripel, Stony Brook Flemish red ale, Tetravis Belgian Quad
- Tuesday 4/25: Uinta Brewing 20th Anniversary Birthday Suit, 23rd Anniversary Birthday Suit, Bourbon Barrel-aged Croggy Stout, Brett Saison
- Wednesday 4/26: Victory Java Cask, Jubilee, Tart Ten, Selene
- Thursday 4/27: Sweetwater Pit & Pendulum, Happy Ending, Anniversary 20, Dank Tank Wookie Down
- Friday 4/28: Evolution Bourbon Migration, Nouveau Rouge, Rise Up, Southern Pecan Pie
- Saturday 4/29: Ommegang Valar Dohaeris, Boulevard + Firestone Walker Collaboration Number 6
Some breweries have been secretly waiting for the perfect moment to release some of their beers, and of course, Harrisburg Beer Week is the perfect time! I like to grab these local releases to share with friends when they come to town to really highlight the robust beer offerings we have in the area. Grab a few of these for those moments, or for yourself, I won’t judge.
Molly Pitcher will be releasing their Barrel-aged Imperial Rye’Der IPA on tap at their brewery on Tuesday, April 25. Then, on Saturday, April 29, they’ll release the bottles along with growler and crowler fills. This reddish hued rye IPA was aged in Smooth Ambler bourbon barrels direct from West Virginia and aged to perfection just for you. You are not going to want to miss this smooth sexy brew!
On Tuesday, April 25, I will be joining Chelsie and Colleen of HBG Beer Week and Stouts & Stilettos to release our collaboration beer with Boneshire Brew Works – Fresh Out the Kitchen Oatmeal Cookie Stout. This oatmeal stout was brewed by us and uses cinnamon, vanilla, and raisins to give it that just out of the kitchen fresh cookie flavor. You can get all of the event details here, hope to see you!
There are two bottle share events this year, and while at a bottle share you don’t get to keep the brews to add them to your collection, you might just get to try some really rare and unusual beers at these events. Remember that you have to bring something cool from your collection to share, too!
Imminent Liquidation: Harrisburg’s premier bottle share event returns this year on Sunday, April 23 at Grain + Verse from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Bring some whalez to share and your own tasting glass and chat up other beer lovers from the area. Beer Busters podcast will also be recording.
Hops and Hashtags: a new event this year, Webpage FX is hosting a bottle share on Tuesday, April 25 from 6-8 p.m. You bring some brews and they’ll have tasting glasses, snacks, and yard games (think giant Jenga and cornhole). What a lovely way to end your work day right? RSVP by April 18 here.
All Sorts of Other Stuff
These are just a few of the many events that will have rarer beers, but there are a few draft-only events that you’ll definitely want to pop in for:
Categories: Craft Beer